Dad

"Do the Right Thing, and You Know What the Right Thing is." -Ken Sheaffer (My Dad)

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Guilty DUI Manslaughter

Well, the verdict is in.....

Missa Lee Billib has been found guilty of DUI Manslaughter. 

What does this mean?  Well, honestly it does not change my life one bit.  That was done on Nov. 6, 2009 when she drove while intoxicated and carelessly pulled out in front of my Dad as he drove his motorcycle. 

She will be sentenced on March 20, 2012.  How will that change my life...?  Again, it will do nothing to effect the way I live, or anything about my day to day life.  She did that when she decided to drive drunk over 2 years ago.

There is nothing about her, or anything that can happen to her that will have any impact on me personally.  So why do I feel happy that she was found guilty?  Why do I want her to pay the maximum possible penalty??  I don't know, but I do.  I think it is only fair. 

My entire family's life was changed that night..... forever!  There is nothing that can ever put things back the way they used to be.  I just hope that as she sits in prison for up to 15 years, she will remember and reflect on how her decisions changed our lives. 

My sister said this, and I am going to try to say it as nicely as she did.....

My Mom is the true victim in this case.  She is the one who has to wake up every day and look at an empty bed.  She has to look across the dining table at an empty chair.  She has to walk in a garage and see tools that were once used by the love of her life, never to be touched by him again.  She is the one who has to go to bed every night without a good night kiss...

It is Missa who emptied her bed.  Missa took away Mom's conversations at the dining table.  Missa is the reason those tools will never be touched by my Daddy's hands.  And she is ultimately the reason my Mother will never receive another goodnight kiss from her husband. 

I hope that her guilt will in some way help my Mom have some closure.  Of course it will not bring back any of her hopes and dreams, but hopefully it will give her some peace. 

I think that answers my question.....

Why does the guilty verdict make me happy..... because this will help my Mom be able to have some kind of closure.  That's why I'm happy.  I am happy for you MOM!!!!

And why do I want Missa to pay the maximum penalty..... because no sentence can be as horrible as the sentence my Mom is serving for life.  So, no matter what they hand Missa, it will never be what she deserves!!

Mom, I love you with all my heart and am ALWAYS here for you.  Of course, you do not have to read my BLOG to know that!!!  XOXOXO

2 comments:

  1. Closure is fine. That culprit was tried, sentenced and is about to serve time. That may have not brought back your father, but that is going to eat into her time, too, and knock at her conscience every single day. It keeps her trapped in the consequences of her actions, and that is good enough already.

    Kim Hunter

    ReplyDelete